Monday, October 03, 2005

An underachieving Ranger season came to a merciful end yesterday. The Rangers finished a disappointing 79-83, four games below .500. It's ironic that this year's edition of the Rangers dropped just under .500. My hope going into 2004 was a .500 season with a breakout season in 2005. In reality, 2004 was a breakout season while 2005 was two-steps-back from the one-step-forward of 2004.

Michael Young finished the season hitting .331 and winning the American League batting title. Mark Teixeira finished the season with 43 homers and 144 RBI's. Here's hoping Tom Hicks breaks the bank to sign Teixeira long-term. Young, Tex and Hank Blalock are the heart and soul of a young team with huge upside, provided the youthful pitching down on the farm matures.

------------------

The tentative schedule for 2006 is up on the Rangers website and the Boston Red Sox will come to the Palace for the season opener. For the first time in eons, the Rangers will not open the season with an extended West Coast road trip.

------------------

Since moving to Marble Falls, one of the daily blessings of my life is the e-mail I receive early each morning from George Offutt. George and his wife, Linda, have become dear to Mandy and me in a short time.

This morning, George forwarded to me a daily e-mail devotional thought from Landon Saunders. I love the focus of Landon's thoughts and share it with you today.

My mother, as she was growing up and into early adulthood, suffered some
very hard things...without ever becoming hard. When I asked her how she had
done it, she thought for a moment, then said one of the dearest things:
"Landon, you don't have to win; you only have to love."

Dear Soul,

I give love, but I don't feel that I am loved enough in return.

Dear Life,

Approaching love with a shopkeeper's mentality - I gave so much and got so
much in return - is a sure way to go out of the love business. Love's true
nature is to give, expecting nothing in return.

Today, I'll look through the eyes of love at all the people and
circumstances of my day...and I'll leave it to love to look after me