Thursday, January 05, 2006


Yesterday I hopped aboard my blogger and announced with me head that USC would win by a score of 38-35. That's what my head said; my heart thought otherwise.

The point spread was correct (3) and the USC score was correct (38) but Texas reached the end zone one time more than I expected. Even after watching Vince Young for the entire football season (every Texas football game this season was televised and I attended two in person at DKR-Memorial Stadium), I underestimated him.

Last New Year's Day, from the comfort of my living room in the Village, I sat amazed as Vince Young led Texas from behind to Michigan in the Rose Bowl. Last night, I again sat amazed as Vince and the Horns made a rerun, this time claiming the National Championship in the process.

I have to admit I've become a bit smitten with Texas football. I know that's near sacrilege for a red-blooded Arkansan to admit, but once you get past the prejudicial bias, there is a great deal to admire about Texas football. Start with Mack Brown. Once we moved here, I read his book One Heartbeat (incidentally, the book highlights Mack's upbringing in central Tennessee in a "church of Christ" family). Mack is a PR wiz and its hard to dislike him.

Then, being privileged to meet Jordan Shipley and Colt McCoy who have attended church at Marble Falls on four occasions this fall was neat. Both of their fathers played together at ACU and to meet guys who will be the next wave of Longhorn stars on offense was truly neat.

Congratulations to the Longhorns, National Champions in 2006.

------------------------

Here is an inspirational thought for you today from John Homer Miller: "Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens. Circumstances and situations do color life but you have been given the mind to choose what the colors shall be."