Thursday, February 16, 2006

Sorry to have kept you holding for the last couple of days. I have been in bed with the full-blown effects of the flu.

I knew I was in trouble when I visited Dr. Amy and her first question was, "Did you get your flu shot?"

Honestly, I've always thought flu shots were for wimps or senior citizens. Not anymore! The last 48 hours have been sheer torture, dealing with the ravages of a flu bug that has inundated the Hill Country.

Thankfully, though, the help of Amy and the good Lord, I am feeling much better...just in time for my baby's second birthday on Friday!

My mom is here to help us celebrate Tori's second birthday. I've never forgotten the words of a Glorify Him song that said: "everytime I hold a child, I feel the sweet embrace of my God." Unlike Trae, who is now seven going on seventeen, Tori still loves to be held. She still loves to be rocked before bedtime. And everytime she reaches out for me to hold her, that moment reminds me of the sweet embrace in which my God holds me.

--------------------

I hate that I missed being able to post on Wednesday -- a sacred holiday for all Rangers fans. On Wednesday, pitchers and catchers reported to Surprise, Arizona to commence spring training.

Last March, Rick and I spent three wonderful days in the greater Phoenix area, watching the Rangers play and getting to witness the wonders of spring training. Though I won't be going this year, I'll be following the events closely, leading up to what promises to be a more competitive season for the Rangers on the diamond.

-------------------

"For if you possess these qualities (the Christian graces mentioned in verses 5-7) in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 1.8).

Last Sunday, I had the blessed opportunity to sit in on Paul Castiglione's class on 2 Peter. During the course of the discussion, a point was made about the importance of verse 8.

Frankly, I'd never paid a lot of attention to verse 8 and the possible consequences of "ineffective" and "unproductive" knowledge. When it comes to knowledge in church circles, the discussion always takes the track that if one seeks knowledge, they become more empowered to live Christlike.

Yet, experience tells me sometimes people use their knowledge of the Word in counter-productive ways to the very mission of Jesus. When knowledge of the Word is used as an anvil, is it productive? When knowledge of the Word leads to divise splintering of the Body for which Jesus Himself prayed for unity, is it effective?

Peter's caution is a poignant reminder for us to use our knowledge of the Word in productive, effective ways to enhance the mission of Jesus and to encourage the building up of His body.