Friday, March 24, 2006


Last night, my dad and I had a lengthy phone conversation as the LSU/Duke game drew to a close, prompted by my dad's amazement that four Duke players couldn't block out a free throw attempt by Baby Davis in the waning seconds. With the tip of the Texas/West Virginia game approaching, I asked my dad, "Are you going to watch all of this next game?" To which my dad replied, "Nah. I'm getting a little tired. I think I'll just watch till halftime."

Here's hoping he didn't go to bed at halftime.

The nail-biting finishes of both the Texas/WVU game and the UCLA/Gonzaga were classics.

The guys on 1300 The Zone in Austin this morning are saying Paulino's last second shot was the biggest shot in UT hoops history. I disagree. Had he missed the shot, the game still would have gone to overtime. It led to a great win for the Horns but the consequences, had he missed, weren't catastrophic.

You gotta give a lot of props to the Mountaineers, though. I remember last year how impressed I was by their character and determination in making a run to the Elite 8.

But somewhere in the West Virginia hills this morning, the sound of Mike Cleveland singing "The Eyes of Texas" must surely resound.

-----------------

I am blessed tonight with the opportunity to speak to the Fishers of Men Tour which will be held this weekend on Lake LBJ. The Fishers of Men is a unique program providing fishing tournament opportunities in a Christian setting. In an effort to connect with my audience, Jim McKay and I were supposed to do to some crappie fishing this morning on Lake LBJ, but according to Jim, the recent cool front has caused the crappie to go shut-mouth.

------------------

Yesterday's blog generated more email feedback than any other blog in the last year. Thanks so much for your interest. And for all of you who said you were going to rush out and purchase Home to Harmony, be sure to let me know what you think.

------------------

Thanks for all your comments and insights yesterday on John 14.27 and the path to peace. I was impressed by the obvious time some of you took in reflecting on John 14.27 based on your emails.

Your effort yesterday in reflecting on what John 14.27 says strikes at the very ideal of meditation. To meditate as spiritual discipline is to allow your mind to be consumed by the text. Absorbed by the text. It is a time of deep reflection so as to be changed by the text.

As a spokesman for God and His Scripture, one of my greatest frustrations is people who come to the text to critique rather than to change; of people who assemble with the mistaken notion that they are the audience rather than God.

Meditation moves us out of the temptation to be consumer-driven Christians who critique every text and every teaching to servant-driven Christians who are intent on being changed at heart-level by every text and every teaching.

Anyway, back to John 14.27.

The path to peace is not political power. World powers have historically assumed that strong arming other nations will bring about peace.

But have you noticed, with a long track record of history to prove it, that political power is no means to peace? Peace seems so elusive in our world...and in our own lives.

Unfortunately, the path to peace has been clearly laid out in Jesus's words in John 14.27. It's been "right in front of our face," yet we haven't noticed it.

The path to peace is the acceptance of a gift. Peace is a gift. Peace is not an ideal emotional state that can be gained in your life through will power or in our world through political power. Peace is gained when it is received for what it truly is...a gift from Jesus Christ. "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you."

Neat, huh? A powerful reality of God's truth and a fresh insight packed into one tiny, seemingly obscure verse of Scripture tucked away in John 14.

As you move into your weekend, carve out some time to meditate on God's Word. Perhaps you are doing aDaily Bible reading schedule. Can I encourage you to avoid flying through your reading for the sake of reading and really grasp what God is communicating to you through His Word. Try meditating this weekend on God's Word. Perhaps you won't read as much, but what you read will sink deeper with meaning, insight and direction for your life.