Monday, May 22, 2006

Yesterday morning, in advance of my sermon on Encouragement, we sang the familiar old hymn "Count Your Many Blessings," officially known as "When Upon Life's Billows." This morning, the thought of considering our blessings is ever-present. Here are some of mine today:

*I am blessed to be married to Mandy. Wow, how did I get so lucky to be married to her?

*I am blessed to have tickets to the Rangers/A's game in Arlington on Thursday.

*I am blessed to call Trae and Tori my daughters. They are bright, witty, funny, but most of all, they love Jesus.

*I am blessed to have a 6-8 year old girls softball team playing for the league championship tomorrow.

*I am blessed to have my Mom here to help out while Mandy is out of town. Mom is tireless, despite her health.

*I am blessed to work alongside Jimmy and Allan. They are creative and intelligent, with a passion for teaching and living the way of Jesus.

*I am blessed by Rick and Gail Northen: their friendship and their example as they minister in Cambodia.

*I am blessed to be able to speak to God about anything, anytime and know that he hears every word, no matter how feeble.

*I am blessed to drink a Diet Pepsi as I write this blog.

You know, from food to family to fun times, we Christians in America are so blessed. But we are never blessed to be the end-user of our own blessings -- we are blessed so that we can bless the lives of others.

What blessings has God given you today? Take a moment and reflect and "count your many blessings, name them one by one."