Friday, September 08, 2006

Just a quick hitter this morning before heading off to breakfast with a great group of senior saints from Woodward Park...

*The Rangers are imploding, as has become their annual August/September custom during the Hicks-Showalter regime. The national media is not being too forgiving this go round.

*Do you know the way to San Jose? Mandy, the girls and I will be in the Bay Area over night so Mandy can catch a flight back to Texas early tomorrow morning for, of all things, the American Idol tour. It'll be great to spend the weekend with the girls!

*Do you see the excellent start of the Colt McCoy era in Austin last weekend? Colt was a frequent attendee at Marble Falls during our time there and is a great kid. Here's hoping he and his mates smush the Buckeyes on Saturday night in Austin.

*Saturday predictions: Two tough picks this weekend because it brings to conflict heart and head. THE Ohio State University will sneak out of DKR/Memorial Stadium with a close 3-point win over the Horns. The loss of Tarell Brown this week is too much for the Horns secondary too overcome. The "human highlighters" come to Fresno for a ESPN-2 tilt Saturday night with the Bulldogs. Oregon stuck it to Stanford in their opener. Pat Hill is calling it the "biggest home game" of his Fresno State coaching career. Ducks win by 10.

---------------

Finally this morning, let me encourage you over the weekend to spend some time reading in Ephesians. It's hard to miss Paul's resolute desire that the identity of the Ephesian Christians would be formed by their connection to Christ and Christ alone.

Too often these days, we qualify our Christianity. "I'm conservative." "I'm liberal." "I'm progressive." "I'm traditional."

But spending time reading Paul reminds me that his calling card was "I'm Christ's person" nothing more, nothing less. I pray that my identity might be so singularly focused that, as was the case for Paul, others might see Jesus in me.