Monday, November 20, 2006

Thanksgiving Perspective

What a neat experience on Saturday to be on the Bulldog sideline as Fresno State laid it on Idaho, 34-0. It was the silver lining game in what has been a dismal season for Fresno.

A special thanks to Rod and Mike Avedikian and Matt Beene for their invitation and generosity.

------------------

Should Michigan get another shot at Ohio State? That has been the debate since the horn sounded at the Horsehoe on Saturday afternoon.

As I see it, the Razorbacks uphill climb to the National Championship is steeper today than ever before. Should USC win out, that eliminates Arkansas because of the thumping USC administered to the Hogs in the season opener. But should Notre Dame beat USC, my guess is that win would solidify the Irish's in the mind of the voters as they best one-loss team. Since Michigan trounced Notre Dame back in September, the Wolverines would get another crack at the Buckeyes.

It comes down to Michigan or USC versus Ohio State.

----------------

Since I'm taking up space this morning on some college football, here is a neat article on Ken Hatfield that is worth reading. My favorite era in Arkansas football was 1984-1990 and the years of my youth when Hatfield was leading the Hogs.

---------------

Find a moment today to say a prayer for the safe return of our mission team who is en route back to Fresno from Mexicali, Mexico. 22 of our members spent the weekend in Mexicali doing work with the church there. They repainted the entire church auditorium and poured several yards of concrete.

Joe told me yesterday on the phone they were able to connect and study with one person who is real close to making a commitment to Jesus.

May God continue to bless the ministry of these servants and the church in Mexicali.

---------------

When we lived in the Village, Eileen Pyles consistently forwarded to me emails that were insightful and meaningful. Through the years, I've kept a number of Eileen's emails and one is especially meaningful this week. From 2002, it is simply entitled "I'm Thankful."

I'm thankful for the wife who says it's hot dogs tonight,
because she is home with me and not someone else.

I'm thankful for the teenager who is complaining about doing dishes
because that means she is at home, not on the streets.

I'm thankful for the taxes I pay,
because it means that I'm employed.

I'm thankful for the mess to clean after a party,
because it means that I have been surrounded by friends.

I'm thankful for the clothes that fit a little too snug,
because it means I have enough to eat.

I'm thankful for a lawn that needs mowing and windows that need cleaning,
because it means I have a home.

I'm thankful for my huge heating bill,
because it means I am warm.

I'm thankful for the lady behind me in church who sings off-key,
because it means that I can hear.

I'm thankful for the pile of laundry and ironing,
because it means I have clothes to wear.

I'm thankful for the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours,
because it means that I am alive.