Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Eve

Yesterday marked the final assembly for 2007 at the Woodward Park Church of Christ. It was certainly a blessed year for our church family, evidenced by the following statistical data:

Average Worship Attendance for 2007 -- 797

Baptisms in 2007 -- 43

New Members in 2007 -- 42

Responses for Prayer in 2007 -- 174

Couple that with the work throughout the world in missions and the local mission efforts to feed, clothe, house and job train the less fortunate in Fresno and we can look back upon 2007 as a year in which God richly blessed our ministry.

------------

As wonderful as 2007 by every measuring stick imagineable, I still find myself feeling a sense of "divine discontentment." There is so much left to do, so many ministry demands that are worthy and capable of making a difference in the lives of the lost.

I hope you are joining with me in a recommitment on the threshhold of a New Year to be used by God to accomplish his work in the world in 2008. I am personally resolving to do my part in insuring that 2008 sees even greater expansion for the kingdom. My prayer is that God will use to reach out and convert 100 persons to Jesus in 2008. It's a high goal, a lofty ambition, but one that is birthed with the dream of advancing the kingdom of Fresno.

-------------

On a personal note, I'd covet your prayers for my grandfather. My granddad has long been a great source of inspiration and encouragement in my life.

On Friday night, my grandfather was taken to the Emergency Room at Saline Memorial Hospital in Benton, Arkansas with difficulty breathing. The ER doctors discovered he had blood clots in both lungs. He spent the weekend in Intensive Care and his body has responded to medication, allowing him to be moved to a regular room last evening.

My grandfather is 83 years old and has spent his life, especially his retirement, in the service of the Lord. Because he and my grandmother were actively involved in Barton Bible Camp, I was privileged on August 1, 1984 to be baptized by my grandfather.

My life and ministry is a testimony to the godly, faith base established in me by grandparents and parents who love Jesus.