Thursday, December 11, 2008

On Being a Student Again

Is it just me or is this year's bowl lineup incredibly weak? Wow, never thought I'd see the day that the Poinsettia Bowl was one of the better match ups.

With apologies to all my Sooner friends, I still say you robbed Texas of their rightful place in the BCS championship game.

---------------

Yesterday in our weekly Shepherds/Staff prayer session, we asked, "Who shepherds the Shepherds?" That's a great question, and one we don't often consider. Sometimes, positions of leadership can be a lonely place.

Perhaps the application of that question in my role as Preaching Minister propelled me to accept a free course this fall at the Mennonite Brethren Biblical Seminary in Fresno. The course, entitled "The Church and God's Mission in the World," has assuaged my own propensity to burnout. That may seem odd, seeing as how the semester's assignments included reading and writing essays on seven books, but the opportunity to be a student again was beyond refreshing. As one who teaches four times each week (two sermons and two class sessions), sitting in a classroom with others and being a student again has renewed my own walk with the Lord and enhanced my ministry.

I've enjoyed it so, and the blessings that have accompanied this semester as a student, that I have decided (with Mandy's blessing) to continue on. My quest isn't to earn a degree -- though should that occur it would be an added blessing -- but to continue to grow in Christ as a student. It'll be a sacrifice, as there are no tuition waivers from this point forward, but I am grateful for this serendipitous opportunity to sharpen the Sword.