Friday, October 07, 2005

Since Mandy and I have been married, our journeys have taken us to some wonderful settings for college football. During our stay in West Virginia, we got to experience the hype surrounding the "Backyard Brawl" between West Virginia and Pittsburgh. In Florida, it was Georgia/Florida and Florida State/Florida. In Arkansas, it was the renewal of the Arkansas/Texas rivalry.

But nothing matches the hype and emotion that I've witnessed this week in advance of the 100th game between Texas and Oklahoma. They hype and build-up leading up to this game is unbelievable, in part, I think, because the Sooners have schooled the Longhorns for five straight years. Perhaps it is just Texas's confidence that this is their year, but the coverage leading up to this game has been unlike anything I've ever witnessed.

The Horns should dominate but I wouldn't sell Bob Stoops and the Sooners short.

-----------------

My former colleague in Arkansas, Jimmy Mitchell, uses his blog a couple of times each week to post a "Quote of the Day." Today, I'm going to stay a page from Jimmy's playbook. My daily flip calendar today contains a wonderful thought from a Japenese proverb:

Vision without action is a daydream.
Action without vision is a nightmare.


As a leader, it is paramount that the energy of action is channeled productively. Productive action can only be accomplished by a clear picture of the future.

I'm taking some time today to reasses my personal vision. Where do I want to be five years from now? What do I want my character and my family to look like five years from now?

Having a clear picture of the future (vision) channels the energy I expend today(action) in productive ways.