Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Since beginning my blog back in February, I have tried to make a daily routine of writing my blog first thing every morning when I arrive at the office. Thanks for your patience, those of you who faithfully read my blog, during our vacation time. I promise next Monday morning to be back on track with a fresh insight for you every morning.

---------------------

I was blessed today to read Rick's words about the sermon he preached on Sunday in Cambodia. We use so many metaphors to describe faith. We speak of it as a "marathon" rather than a "sprint." We think of the quest of faith as a "race" as illustrated by Paul in 1 Corinthians 9.

But all of those frequently used metaphors lack the sense of intimacy. A marathon, sprint, or race are mass gatherings of participants. A "walk," on the other hand, speaks of intimacy. A relaxed setting. A quiet, comfortable time of reflection.

Thanks Rick for reminding us that the most powerful Being in the Universe -- Creator of Heaven and Earth -- thinks walking with us in an intimate relationship is pretty neat!

---------------------

Vacation time is so "un"routine that the routine things, like keeping up with news and current events, gets shoved aside. I have been in a information vacuum, save one significant event that did *not* occur.

On Sunday morning before church, it looked as if my beloved Rangers were on the verge of trading away Hank Blalock and John Danks to the Florida Marlins for Mike Lowell and Josh Beckett.

The deal would have been a major coup for the Rangers, landing them the critical #1 starter the team always seems to lack. Beckett would have been the bell-cow of the pitching staff. Lowell would have adequately replaced the Hammer's offensive production.

Yet, as I read today, it seems as though the Marlins were only using the Rangers as a bargaining chip to get the Red Sox to up-the-ante and include a top-flight, up-and-coming shortstop from their farm system.