Thursday, January 19, 2006

On any given day, I read a number of insightful blogs. I read the blogs of friends whose wisdom I know and respect (Rick Northen, Toney Stowers, Jimmy Mitchell, Jeff Garrett). I read blogs from others whom I do not personally know but whose reflections on the Word of God and the mission of Jesus challenge me (Mike Cope, Larry James, Wade Hodges, Greg Taylor, Larry Chounaird). I read blogs that inform me of trends in church growth and the emerging church (Scot McKnight, Fred Peatross, George Barna). I read blogs about the Texas Rangers (Adam Morris, Joe Seigler, Jamey Newberg). And I read blogs from scholars with unique wisdom of the Word (John Mark Hicks).

But one blog that provides for me as much meat to chew on as any is the blog of John Alan Turner.

This week, Turner has been blogging about Salvation: Individual or Communal? The discussion is wonderful and enlightening, considering how often in our Western paradigm of faith we tend to see faith through the lens of the individual implications and blessings. Turner is doing wonderful work in thinking through the implications of the blessing of faith in community; that God's primary blessing to us who are saved is the strength of faith gained in community.