Friday, May 04, 2007

Awaiting a Wonderful Weekend

Tonight at 9:00 p.m. at the Bethany Church softball complex, the Woodward Park Church of Christ co-ed softball team will retake the diamond. Last week, we kicked off the season with a 15-4 win.

I had a blast playing last week and look forward to being back out on the diamond tonight. It's the first competitive softball I've played in about six years. Last Saturday, on the heels of my first game back, I laid around all day, moaning about the soreness that had overtaken me.

What I learned from my first experience on the WPCoC team was this: (1) our team is pretty good and (2) I'm not nearly as young as I used to be!

---------------

This weekend doesn't provide much opportunity to overcome sore muscles, aches and pains. On Saturday morning, Trae and I will meet up with Jamie Perry. Our plans are to pick up one of the newest members of the Woodward Park family, Brenda Gallardo, who was contacted via our downtown outreach to the less-fortunate, and make our way to Bakersfield.

Jamie, Trae and I are going to participate in a workshop for the Deaf at the Highland Church of Christ. Brenda is going to spend the day reconnecting with her daughter who lives in Bakersfield. Mandy and Tori are staying behind to participate in the Ladies Day at Woodward Park on Saturday.

Following the workshop, Trae and I will continue on our journey to Lake Isabella to teach/preach there on Sunday. John Smith, a former minister at Woodward Park and the current preaching minister for the Broken Arrow, Oklahoma church, will be in Fresno following the Pepperdine Lectures and will speak. John's presence allows me to fulfill an invitation extended to me from Terry Mullen. I met Terry and his family two years ago at Tahoe where Trae and Terry's daughter, Heather, became the best of friends during the week. Trae is excited about reuniting with Heather and our time in Lake Isabella will afford them the opportunity to play together. I'll be speaking on the theme of discipleship.

I hope you have a blessed weekend and are looking forward to the opportunities of spiritual growth and worship afforded on Sunday. I know I am excited!