Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Friends

Monday was just a great, if not bittersweet, day! I say bittersweet because it ended at the San Francisco International Airport when Mandy, Tori and I left Rick and Gail for their journey back to Cambodia. Apparently, the connection left from their keeping Tori when Mandy and I were away for our 10th anniversary cruise is still strong because Tori cried for them as we left the airport.

We enjoyed the sights around the Bay Area and had an excellent meal at Scoma's in Sausalito.

The highlight for me, though, was hanging around Pier 39, ultimately landing at Bubba Gump's where we sipped on coffee and just talked.

Friends like Rick and Gail are a rare find. Having soulmates with whom life can be an open book, where the counsel and advice are not what you always want to hear but what you need to hear, where the mutual respect is unquestioned. Friends who have your best interest at heart. Friends with whom you can laugh and love and with whom chats over coffee can last hours that seem like mere minutes. As I introduced Rick and Gail to Woodward Park Sunday morning, I said it was rare when a person's hero happens to be their closest friend.

Somehow, Mandy and I have been blessed to be so fortunate!

They'll furlough again this summer. Rick and I have planned the ultimate baseball trip to the East Coast where we're going to hit Cooperstown, NY and the Hall of Fame, a Rangers/Yankees game in New York, a Mets/Phillies game in Philly, and two more Rangers/Orioles games in Baltimore.

I can't wait!!