Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I Live for This

Yesterday's post was a little too Nostradamus-like, ridiculously claiming unusual prognostication ability on the basis of one game. For the sake of full disclosure, I did predict the 2008 Major League baseball season before it began...with far less success.

Here's a sampling of humble pie.

AL EAST: I picked the Red Sox, who did win the AL Wild Card. I wonder if anyone dared to pick the actual AL East champ, Tampa Bay. Still a shocker.

AL CENTRAL: I picked the Tigers, who finished last.

AL WEST: The Angels were the pick and the Angels did win in the easiest division to forecast.

AL WILD CARD: I went with the Mariners who just finished off the worst season in MLB.

NL EAST: The Mets choked on the final day for the second year in a row.

NL CENTRAL: I went with the Brewers, who captured the NL Wild Card.

NL WEST: My pick of the Diamondbacks looked great until they decided to tank down the stretch.

NL WILD CARD: The Cubs actually won the division.

Not that it matters a lick in view of the misguided season picks, but here goes a shot at the division series that begin today:

NLDS: Brewers over Phillies -- recently, the last team in has been hot in the playoffs.
NLDS: Cubs over Dodgers -- sorry Michelle and Gary, but destiny lives at the corner of Waveland and Sheffield Avenues in the Windy City.

ALDS: White Sox over Rays -- the last team in theory at play here.
ALDS: Angels over Red Sox -- recent history says go with the Red Sox. But I have to sit by Steve Thurman tomorrow night in seminary class.

-----------------

To all who attended the Workshop, my email is open for you today (jim@wpcoc.com). Take a moment and fire me an email with your workshop reflections. What benefited you most? What speakers were most helpful to you? What can be improved? What suggestions do you have for future workshops?

My aim is for our Spiritual Growth Workshop to be an annual source of dynamic spiritual growth in your life. Your response to this year will help us plan and prepare for the future years.

So, please send me an email today with your suggestions -- both pro and con -- so that next year can be even better than this year.