Thursday, November 13, 2008

Taking One for the Team

I need some tech help from a RSS guru. For some strange reason, my blog feed has been stuck on a post from about six months ago. When it was brought to my attention, I tried every trick in the book, but to no avail. I even went so far as to delete my reader and reinstall, but still it registers "Culture of Narcissm" from six months ago.

Can anyone help me resolve this? I'd sure like to satisfy my loyal RSS readers who think I haven't updated in six months. Thanks in advance.

---------------

1 Samuel 25 is a neat story capturing the intervention of a beautiful, intelligent woman on behalf of the life of her surly, cantakerous husband.

David and his 600 men who departed the cave have provided protection for the wealthy Nabal's shepherds. When it came sheep-shearing time, David sent messengers to seek, in essence, a tip from Nabal for services rendered.

Nabal refused. And David was livid.

He instructed 400 of his men to strap on their swords as they rushed headlong in the direction of Nabal's house. David's not going there in search of peace, but in search of vengeance. He feels slighted, mistreated, done wrong.

And somewhere along the way to vengeance, Abigail intervenes. Take a few minutes today and read the entire story (1 Samuel 25) and the diplomacy and grace with which she acts. What impresses me most about Abigail's tact is her willingness to shoulder the blame of her husband's slight. "My lord, let the blame be on me alone," she said to David (1 Sam 25.24).

Accepting responsibility is rare in our culture. But going so far as to accept responsibility for the fault(s) of another is a dinosaur. And yet, I no of no other leadership trait in God's kingdom that is more commendable than humbling taking the bullet for another.

Sometimes, relationships are salvaged when someone dares to accept responsibility for something they didn't do. Sometimes, unity is upheld when someone takes one for the team.

That's what Abigail did. Her intervention saved not only the lives of every male in her family (if only for a moment for surly ole Nabal) but also the reputation and integrity of the Lord's anointed and the future king of Israel.