Monday, November 06, 2006

On Friday, our 25,000th visitor to this site stopped by. Problem is, I don't know specifically who that visitor is. The visit was from an IP Address on a computer at the Oklahoma State Senate. If that is you, send me an email today at jim@wpcoc.com and I will make good on my gift offer to you.

----------------

From the ranks of the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" files, my beloved Rangers have selected Buck Showalter's successor. Ron Washington, formerly the third base coach of the arch-rival Oakland A's, has been chosen by Jon Daniels to lead the Rangers. Washington was given a two-year contract and the freedom to chose two of his coaches (Rudy Jaramillo will remain as hitting coach, Mark Connor as pitching coach).

Washington has been highly regarded throughout baseball for many years, but apparently not highly regarded enough by Billy Beane to land one of the openings the A's have had for their manager post. Washington's adept at teaching infielders and is given much credit in the famed book Moneyball for developing Scott Hatteberg's skills in his move from catcher to first base. From Moneyball and Aces, you get the sense that Washington is a crass, no non-sense guy who demands winning.

And one quote that is sure to rile the A's fans, according to Jamey Newberg, Washington says, "I feel like I have an idea about what we can do to keep the A's from beating us so much."

Personally, I'm satisfied with the hire, although my first choice was Arlington native Trey Hillman. I'm looking for Hillman -- who has interviewed for the managerial openings in San Diego and Oakland, in addition to the Rangers -- to land a job with the San Diego Padres where he'll be reunited with good friend, Grady Fuson.